It’s incredible you have these goals for yourself. I’m so proud of you for wanting to improve and make your dreams come to life!
It’s not that your resolutions and your dreams aren’t great, they’re amazing! So, I want to preface this post by saying, if you see a resolution on here I’m displaying as a mistake, don’t feel bad. Context is everything, babe!
I want you to hit your goals this year. Every single one of them! The last thing I want for you is for this year to be like every single other one. Now that you’ve had WLS, I want to make sure you’re making realistic, smart and sustainable goals for yourself all the time, not just for the new year.
I don’t want you to have broad, unrealistic goals that will only lead to you feeling like you failed yet again. Instead, take those resolutions and build out a really SMART plan so that these goals become habits.
Once they are habits and part of your routine, they will be so much easier to stick to throughout the whole year, not just until the end of the month.
This year we’re working smarter, not harder, babe!
Here are 5 Common Mistakes I See People Make When They Set New Year resolutions after WLS
- You’re being too broad
“I’m going to eat healthy” or “I’m going to eat clean”
Okay, but what does that even mean? These goals are NOT specific. Also, I need you to know, the term ‘clean eating’ isn’t a real thing. Its a scare tactic marketing term.
- You’re making to many
“I’m going to eat healthy, lose 20 pounds, drink a gallon of water a day, go to the gym every day, meditate, get 8 hours of sleep, stick to my diet, stay away from sugar, read a book every week, eat veggies with every meal, cut out snacking, etc.”
Okay you superhuman you!! Adding too much at once perpetuates ‘all-or-nothing’ thinking and creates burnout. Doing all of that sounds like there isn’t time for real life!
- You’re lacking a plan
“I’m going to lose 20 lbs this year”
That sounds like a wonderful goal… but how exactly do you plan on achieving that?
- You aren’t being realistic
“I hate mornings but this year I’m going to be a morning person and go to the gym at 5am every day, no excuses!”
No you’re not. Let’s be real for a sec, babe! If mornings are hard for you then this plan is NOT going to be realistic. Also, please no one go to the gym every day. Your body needs rest.
- They are stemming from a place of scarcity instead of abundance
“I’m cutting out all carbs this year”
When your goal focuses on what you wont do or what you’re cutting out, instead of what you CAN do or what you are adding, it will be much harder to stick to mentally, physically and emotionally.
Instead of making these mistakes, take your resolutions and turn them into SMART goals!
Here are my top tips when making resolutions into SMART goals:
- Be as specific as possible – the more detailed your plan the more direction you will have following it.
- Be as realistic as possible – use your strengths to your advantage. Part of proper goal setting is knowing yourself. Set yourself up for success not failure.
- Focus on what you will do or add to your routine, not take away.
- Create 2 SMART goals at a time. Give yourself 2 weeks to consistently hit those 2 goals. Once you master them, then slowly add more to your routine. You want these to be lasting habits, not short-term resolutions.
- Keep reevaluating your goals. If you’re not hitting your goals, there is likely a problem with the goal, not you. Your goals should be realistic and achievable. If they aren’t take them down a notch and lower the bar a bit until you are consistent, then build it up some more when you’re ready.
That’s a Wrap
Remember, the whole goal is to make life easy, realistic, and FUN after WLS!
I know from personal experience and from helping 1,000s of women on their bariatric journey that food and mindset work can feel complicated and full of emotions. The journey through and beyond bariatric surgery is intense, but it is so much better when you’re in a community of people who get it. That’s why I created The T.R.I.B.E. Membership; to connect with and empower people like you!
Check out The T.R.I.B.E. Membership today; we’re ready to welcome you to the group!